Thriving in Chaos
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 07:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tasha Taylor (email@example.com)
John and Group,
Here is some food for thought on Chaos. I took a class on Chaos theory in
November of 94, just 2 weeks after the 94 election. I took the following
Thriving in Chaos
Notes from a course taken in November, 1994
by Lynn Bursten Ph.D.
Our world is making paradigm shifts right now which is allowing us to
make meaning out of chaos. When chaos comes welcome it. Chaos will
allow a breakdown of that order which will allow change to occur. We are
looking at death or transformation.
- To change the way we thank about chaos. This requires a fundamental
change in how your experience reality.
- To learn new paradigm techniques for thriving. Approaches for
dealing with chaos - the way you think makes a difference.
- To begin co-creating our future. Doing it right now.
When chaos occurs you can't see what is happening.
Pattern recognition is important. Try and find a way to connect the dots
- so-to-speak. The normal response to chaos is absolute fear. Take time
to talk and reflect and plan for it. Support yourself and dont fight the
river. Go through chaos and enjoy it.
Diving into Chaos: The following quote is from H. Prather:
A time comes when you need to clean house. No, you need to go even
further. You need to burn the house down with yourself in it. Then you
must walk from the fire and say, I have no name.
Complexity: The world is full of deep structures. Chaos is an order we
have not perceived yet.
Life creates complex local structures. We will have emerging structures
that will come out and solve problems. Worry about your self locally.
Turbulence: Being able to thrive in Chaos is important.
Learning to thrive in chaos:
- lst order: Adaptation. When chaos happens you take the
present theories in use to try and make meaning out of the situation. If
the situation is threatening you will respond in fear. Instead of using
the same old theories - try new theories to make meaning out of chaos.
- 2nd order: Developmental. When you see chaos, experience
the fear, reflect on the new information, create new theories on how
things work, and then try those theories out to see if they work.
- 3rd order: Transformational. A shift in paradigms is
happening. Science is changing right now, we are discovering new laws.
Changes will take place that will question our assumptions on how reality
works, and how we know reality.
Chaos is essential for creativity and transformation. To get new
solutions for problems we must go into chaos. Two people will never
behave the same way twice. Remember this when trying to predict what
will happen next.
The New Paradigm: The nature of reality.
a. Multiple levels of reality exist, each with its own laws, rules, and
b. Systems are complex networks of interdependent functions. Structures
emerge from patterns of interaction.
c. Like holograms: each part simultaneously enfold and is enfolded by
Surviving and Thriving in Chaos: - Essential Elements.
- Create and sustain a vision
- Let go. (Let go of your need to for structure).
- Create open spaces - which allow for new structures to occur.
- Be human. We create great things - stop trying to be authoritarian
or dictatorial - we create human structures.
One final quote:
- Symmetry and order prevent breakthroughs. Try to be asymmetrical.
- Be respectful and sensitive at all times - we are under stress.
- Stress means you need a difference perspective - change your mind set.
- Treat everyone as you would be treated.
- Pay attention to births and deaths. Things die, departments die,
- Remember we are one - in a world of no boundaries - we are all terrific!
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take that step into
the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will
happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will
learn how to fly. Teller
This is a summation of the class, but I found if very profound in looking
at the times of change and how not to be afraid, for growth comes out of
Hope you all are well and dealing with and enjoying life!